Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Great hope

I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
1 Thes 4:13
In this verse, Paul is consoling the Thessalonians with assurances concerning the position of those who are 'asleep' - a normal New Testament term for those who have died believing. But a Choice Gleanings reading the other day focussed on the fact that being saved, we have good reasons, in general, to 'sorrow not, even as others which have no hope'. Perhaps you are one of the majority of people these days who think that life ends at death, there is nothing to hope for after death. I dont believe that. I believe that there is much more. I'm with Paul here. Not only is God himself going to greet me, but, at some point, we're all getting new bodies. This is just the historic teaching of the Christian faith, just not one you hear a lot of. I must just add, as Mr Higham always says, this 'hope' is not a 'Oh I hope so' hope, its roots are in the power of God Himself. So it is an ambitious, venturing, lively hope - one that breeds courage.

No comments: