Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Baptism

We held a very simple 'family only' baptism service for Pads after the evening service on Sunday night.
The first hymn was by Adoniram Judson:
Come, Holy Spirit, Dove divine,
On these baptismal waters shine,
And teach our hearts, in highest strain,
To praise the Lamb for sinners slain.
We love Thy name, we love Thy laws,
And joyfully embrace Thy cause;
We love Thy cross, the shame, the pain,
O Lamb of God for sinners slain.
We sink beneath the water’s face,
And thank Thee for Thy saving grace;
We die to sin and seek a grave
With Thee, beneath the yielding wave.
And as we rise with Thee to live,
O let the Holy Spirit give
The sealing unction from above,
The joy of life, the fire of love. 
The pastor read from Psalm 40:1-4
I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD. 
Pads answered the same three short questions he'd recently been asked when he became a member of the church a few weeks ago:
Do you believe that Jesus Christ came into this world to be the saviour of the world?
Do you believe that he is the only saviour?
Do you believe that he is your saviour?
Then Pads was baptised (by sprinkling), 'in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.'
Pastor Dewi related how he recalled Pads moving from a state of really wanting to be saved, coming to a position of being sure. Indeed, for as long as he could pray intelligently, he'd pray 'Dear Lord and heavenly father, please save me'.
This was similar to Pastor Dewi's experience when he was 12. He could remember singing all manner of hymns to himself as he walked to and from school - a 'new song' had been given to him: a song of praise for lifting him out of the fearful pit of sin and death through the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. Pastor Dewi recalled the blessed ten years or so that had seen my whole family saved, and here was proof that God is still blessing this family with his salvation.
For the hymns, Pads chose 'Amazing Grace', and, 'When peace like a river attendeth my way, or sorrows like sea billows roll, whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, "It is well, it is well with my soul"'.
Is it well with your soul? Are your feet upon the Rock, the Lord Jesus Christ? 'All other ground is sinking sand'.

2 comments:

willbewill said...

It was a very special service for all of us, a real felt presence of the Lord.

Ruth said...

and didn't we sing? Grandad would've given us half a crown. In fact I think family members who've gone before must've been singing too.