The Christian has various healthful ways of thinking about difficult situations:
- Since the Fall people have been afflicted by horrendous suffering (take the martyrs for example), perhaps none more so than the Lord Jesus Christ, and what a deal of good came from that!
- Some say there's an unwritten law that you should outlive your children, but Adam outlived Able, David outlived Absalom, Job outlived his first cohort of children, Mary outlived Jesus...
- None of this is random: God's providence is working all things for good (Acts 2:23).
- Count your blessings: for example, 'the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that shall be revealed in us' (Rom 8:18 - also 2 Cor 4:17)
- Death itself is, for the Christian, merely a portal into God's presence.
- God's strength is perfected in weakness (2 Cor 12:9).